Saturday 28 November 2020

Elements of Islay 2011 Oc6 8 yo

 
 
 
58,1°
Distillery : Bruichladdich - Islay
Ex-Bourbon Barrels
Independent Bottling 
By Elixir Distillers
Limited Edition 
Single Malt 
Bottled in 2019
Uchillfiltered, Uncoloured, Cask Strength
 
 
 
This is the sixth version of Octomore from Elixir Distillers, and the latest to date. I regret that the peat content is not specified anywhere, but I assume that it exceeds 100 ppm. I do know, however, that 870 bottles are available.




Let's Taste It : 
Thick and swampy peat, it's so powerful, damp, mouldy, mangrove, clammy tropical scents, vanilla and lime, enhanced by a light cherry. Iodine and orange jam. A hint of ginger. On the palate, some cereals, wheat, barley, millet, but it remains very bourbon-like, and vanilla settles in, amid peppery spices. Yellow plums, a dash of banana. Satisfying finish, long enough to be mentioned, earthy, charcoal, but also cola and wheat germ. Limestone rock.

In Short, 
I have to admit that I was a little disappointed. I'm no Octomore expert, but it seems to me that some bottlings lack complexity, too insistent on the bourbon profile. That's the case with this one, in my opinion. It's still a hell of a peat explosion, though.
Score : 86









                                          To Be Listened While Sipping :
  
                                                    Garbage - Only Happy When It Rains

No comments:

Post a Comment