52°
Distillery : Bowmore - Islay
Refill Sherry Cask
Independent Bottling
By North Star Spirits
Limited Edition
Single Cask
Bottled in 2021
Unchillfiltered, Uncoloured, Cask Strength
Peated around 25 ppm
I’ve always said that I’m very interested in North Star Spirits, this bottler founded in 2016 in Glasgow by Iain Croucher, but I’ve just realised that this is only the second product I’ve tasted from their warehouses. It’s true, though, that they’re a bit of a hidden gem and don’t make many appearances at whisky fairs. At the same time, they don’t need to, as their reputation is second to none. Here we have a 24-year-old Bowmore matured in a refill sherry cask, 326 bottles have hit the shelves. Sherry-cask Bowmores are rarer these days, this one is here to show us just how much of a shame that is. It was released to pay tribute to another bottler, a German one, Sansibar, which was celebrating its 10th anniversary at the time. Now that North Star Spirits is also 10 years old, I hope Sansibar returns the favour.
Monstrously balanced sherry, with a touch of ash and charcoal, intoxicating smoke, crushed red fruits, a hint of fermentation, cherries, blueberries, visciole, varnished mahogany, raisins and acacia honey. Slight medicinal and mineral notes. Bay leaf, tannins. On the palate, it is almost viscous, syrupy, amarena, fiery spices, apricot stones, orange marmalade, lemon zest, lychees. The finish is quite oaky, powerful, flint, smoky bark, slices of grapefruit, chunks of granite, baked apples, cinnamon, coffee grounds. Black and damp earth, mushrooms.
In Short,
I have a friend who told me that Bowmore whiskies matured in sherry casks shouldn’t even exist, he really ought to try this one, where the sherry brings out some distinctive characteristics of the distillery. The smoke and charcoal become more pronounced, the oak even more elegant, the herbaceous notes more pronounced, and the fruit is balanced by delicate mineral notes. It’s truly top-class. Although it was released nearly five years ago, you can still find it here and there at a prohibitive price, but perhaps die-hard fans will find a way to get their hands on it, and they won’t regret it.
Score : 90
To Be Listened While Sipping :
Grace Cummings - Fake
No comments:
Post a Comment