Thursday, 6 August 2026

Springbank 12 yo Cask Strength Batch 29

 
 
 
56,6°
Distillery : Springbank - Campbeltown
100% Bourbon Casks
Original Bottling 
Limited Edition 
Single Malt 
Bottled in 2026
Unchillfiltered, Uncoloured, Cask Strength
Peated around 12 ppm
 
 
 
This one arrived rather unexpectedly, right in the middle of July, and just seven months after the previous batch. And, like the previous batch, it’s 100 per cent Bourbon-matured, which is quite rare in this series, which was launched in 2010. I love my Springbank aged in Bourbon casks, but I hope they don’t make it the norm, as I like a bit of variety too.
 
 
 

Let's Taste It : 
The nose is creamy, english custard, generous vanilla, thick honey, blond tobacco, a rubbery quality, plums and crushed bananas. Hints of iodine, full-bodied peat, exposed beams, small pebbles, farmyard notes, hay, stable. Gentle indulgence, cereal bars. On the palate, olive oil, macerated almonds, prickly pears, sanded wood, powerful spices. Wheat germ. A very long finish, a touch of liquorice, charcoal and chocolate, chewing tobacco, beach sand, citrus pulp, grapefruit and lemon. An ounce of bitterness, asparagus.
 
In Short, 
I found the nose very fruity, and I tasted it alongside the other two 12-year-old Cask Strength 100% Bourbon whiskies I own, Batches 23 and 28, and I think this one is better. Lots of fruit on the nose, a rich, indulgent character, very oily on the palate, and a very long finish. Whereas the other two are more mineral, lighter and more ethereal. The only slight drawback on this one is that the wood has left a bit of a mark on the finish and there’s a very slight bitterness. Mind you, that’s not necessarily a flaw, but it does mean the balance is slightly off at that point. As for the price, it’s now too high for my liking, it’s a real shame, but we’ll just have to get used to it. 
Score : 89 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
                                                 To Be Listened While Sipping : 
 
                                                  Alex Vile - Color Me Cold

No comments:

Post a Comment